Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cycling in the city

As you may know, driving your bike in a city can be quite the challenge. I myself live in a big city and I have to litterally think of the people's next moves. Like if they are in a car or a truck or just walking by or crossing the street, it always depends on the situation. Many cities are not that bike friendly at the expense of the car. 


With the winter almost gone and the melting snow, many of you will trade their shovels, winter coats, scarves and snowmobiles for their bikes, motorcycles, unicycles, etc. So, here is some tips that can help you for the next season. 


1. Always wear an helmet

I encountered many cyclists in Montreal while riding my own bike where they were unprotected. I mean, can you see some littles kids in the streets or elsewhere not wearing an helmet? I don't think so either. It's so simple to wear an helmet. I know I sound like an overprotective parent but even though I'm experienced, I got my share of accidents. Imagine that a car is passing you way to close to you and at the last moment, you freak out about it, turn hard your wheel in the opposite direction and crash. The first thing that you'll think about is not how your iPhone/S3 will be protected during your fall, trust me!



2. Be prepared for your ride

Even though you have a 5 km run to do to get to your destination or a 100 km, always carry something for your own safety and your own comfort. For example, big sunny day, really hot and humid and you have to go see your friends. A small bottle of water can help you be hydrated at all times. Or, you have a long run to do. Lets say 120km. Bring a spare tube, a kit to change it and a small attachable pump (that can be attached to your bike without irrating you). Yes it will be a pain in the ass to change it but you'll be able to continue instead of procrastinating for hours. Interested in buying those needed things, follow this link below.



3. Know where you are going

Getting lost is frustrating, horrifying for some people and sometimes expensive. What I always do before my trip is to know by heart the path that I will take to reach my destination. Maybe you can't do that. If so, bring a map or like many gadgets nowadays, check your phones/tablets/GPS devices for indications before and during the trip. It will save time, money and frustrations.


4. Repair/Do a check-up on your bike

You always check if your car is safe enough to drive or works properly. Why not doing the same thing with your bike? If you can do it yourselves, you can save some money by doing so and I encourage you to do it. Check out this site if you're looking for parts to repair your 2-wheeler!

Nashbar
But in my opinion, try to find a good store. They normally have a repair shop in the back with people that are used to repair bikes.


5. Try to be respectful on the road

Being a gentleman or a lady isn't that hard but in our times, becomes more difficult. Being respectful on the road (I'm talking as a driver and a cyclist) is just some little gestures that people will appreciate. For an example, staying in the far right lane is where you should be as a cyclist or checking twice your mirrors when you right-turn for any possible cyclists and letting them cross is way better than be tempted to turn and cause a crash. Always put your flashers when turning otherwise, it will be like this. (joking!)


Works the same way as a cyclist though. Here is the basic to know how to call turns or stops when you are with other cyclists or in the traffic.





Well, I hope I gave you enough tips for the new season. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I try to tell them to people around me. I know it's kind of silly to repeat it but you are never too safe. Au revoir chers lecteurs!


No comments:

Post a Comment